Women’s Health Physiotherapy focuses on a number of female health problems. It is known that these problems can affect as many as 1 in 3 women at some point during their lifetime.
Conditions that we can treat here at Holcombe include:
Continence issues of the bladder and bowel
- Stress incontinence
- Urge incontinence
- Mixed incontinence
- Bowel incontinence
Pelvic Organ Prolapse
- Bladder-Cystocele/Anterior prolapse
- Bowel-Rectocele/posterior prolapse
- Uterine descent
Pelvic Floor trauma following childbirth or surgery
Pelvic pain management
Pelvic Floor dysfunction associated with dyspareunia, vulvodynia and vaginismus
Pre and Post Gynaecological surgery
Ante-natal and post-natal musculoskeletal problems, including Low back pain, Thoracic pain, Pelvic girdle pain, Diastasis recto abdominus separation
What does a Women’s Health Assessment involve?
At your first appointment, you will be asked a number of questions about your symptoms then a specialist assessment of the Pelvic Floor is conducted. This may involve an internal examination to assess Pelvic Floor muscle function and an individual treatment programme will be set up to meet your personal needs.
What does Women’s Health Physiotherapy involve?
- An individually designed Pelvic Floor exercise program to increase strength and control of these muscles
- Bladder retraining
- Teach correct defecation techniques
- Pelvic organ Prolapse management
- Assistance to prepare for and recover from Gynaecological surgery
- Advice and treatment for Diastasis Recti Abdominus
- Advice and treatment for Low Back Pain, -Thoracic pain and Pelvic girdle pain during and after pregnancy
- Pelvic pain
- Various adjuncts such as electrical stimulation and Acupuncture may also be incorporated.
Upon your visit to the clinic, discretion will be maintained at all times and we pride ourselves on a professional service within a relaxed and friendly environment.